If you’re a parent, you’ll know that your kids model what they see you doing and what they hear you say – not necessarily what you tell them to do.
The same applies if you’re a CEO or sales leader – your salespeople will model the behaviours they see, hear and experience from you habitually.
Too many of the executives and sales leaders I meet and speak with want their salespeople to do things that they themselves aren’t capable of doing.
Now, I’m not saying that, as a CEO or even a sales leader, you have to be in the trenches day in and day out when it comes to prospecting – BUT, you should at least be able to bring strategic direction and guidance to your people.
Ideally, you want your people to be competitively distinct in their approach to generating new business sales – otherwise they will sound just the same as your competition.
I’ve seen young, first job salespeople and tenured salespeople with 40+ years of sales experience transform their success when they do these 3 things:
- Prospect high – to the CEO! They will get meetings at this level if they focus here. And at worst, they’ll get referrals to other senior decision makers who create budgets.
- Make sure their messaging focuses on a key problem(s) that you have helped others solved – and the measurable and specific outcomes that others have achieved when they work with you. STOP bragging about your company and what you do. Instead, focus on what the outcomes are for your clients.
- Get your salespeople to practice writing these messages to CEOs. Ask them how they’d write to you. In fact, get them to write to you as if you were a prospect…you’ll find it eye-opening.
Remember that you, the leader, gets to benefit from their success.
If you’d like more success and less stress for you and your team, let’s talk.
Or, if you’re feeling the heat from a big, double digit growth goal and want to ensure that you achieve it earlier and avoid a desperate rush at the end of the year, then even more reason to give me a call.
If you want to learn more, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on +1 647-402-2096.
Latest posts by Matt Conway (see all)
- Inside Sales Leaders! STOP Calling Potential Customers TARGETS - October 21, 2019
- CEOs and Sales Leaders, How Is Your Offering Different? - October 11, 2019
- CEO, Sales Are Struggling Because of YOU! - October 7, 2019